Beef Stew with Red Wine, Herbs, Garlic and Root Vegetables
- 2 lbs. stew meat cut into large cubes (top round, bottom round, arm roast, chuck roast, etc.)
- 3/4 bottle dry red wine
- 1 cup chicken or beef stock
- 4 cups roughly chopped root vegetables (radishes, carrots, parsnip, potato, turnip)
- 1 large onion cut into large segments
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlics smashed
- Small handful fresh thyme or rosemary, salt and pepper
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 bay leave
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons tamari or Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon flour (gluten free or wheat)
Preheat oven to 325 F. Sweat the onions. Heat butter over medium heat and cook onions until starting to turn translucent. Remove from pan. Brown the meat. In batches until brown on all sides. Sprinkle flour over the meat. Deglaze the pan. Add wine stirring up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add chicken stock. Return the beef and onions to the pan. Add vegetables and all seasonings.
Bake covered in oven for 2 hours. Check meat and return to oven for up to one hour if necessary.