Farro, Apple and Pecan Salad
- 1 1/2 cup farro
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 large apple, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Soak farro in cold water for 20 minutes; drain well.
Bring 2 quarts salted water to a boil in a medium pot. Add farro and simmer, uncovered, until tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Drain well then rinse under cold water for 30 seconds. Drain again, then transfer to a large bowl, cover and refrigerate.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add apples, stir well and cook until slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes more.
Transfer apple mixture to the bowl with farro. Add thyme, vinegar, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, pecans, salt and pepper and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately.