Avocado Club Sandwich with Marinated Portobello Mushrooms
- 2-4 portobello mushroom caps
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (gluten free) tamari
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- sea salt
- 1 avocado
- 2 slices gluten free bread (or mckel’s grain free gluten free bread)
- sliced heirloom tomato
- sliced radishes
- butter leaf lettuce or arugula
- dijon mustard
- pea shoots or sprouts
- freshly ground black pepper
Using a mandolin or knife, thinly slice (less than 1/4-inch) the portobello mushrooms. in a deep baking dish, combine the vinegar, oil, tamari, maple syrup, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and a pinch of salt. whisk to combine.
Gently arrange the mushroom sliced flat in the baking dish to absorb the marinade. cover and store in the fridge for 2 hours. remove and stir, flipping the mushrooms over to ensure all the liquid is being evenly absorbed, then re-cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. the mushrooms may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To serve, mash 1/4 to 1/2 avocado on each bread slice, add a pinch of salt, then evenly layer the marinated mushrooms. top with desired garnishes.