Kale Huevos Ranchers
For the beans
- 2 cans pinto beans (you can use dry, just prep them ahead of time)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each of ground cumin, chili powder and salt
- splash of apple cider vinegar
For the kale
- 1 bunch kale, well-washed and chopped
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 tablespoon butter and salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the eggs
- 1-2 tablespoons butter and salt
- 6 eggs
To assemble the huevos rancheros
- 6 warmed corn tortillas, 2 sliced avocados, grated cheddar cheese, salsa
BEANS: In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and sauté for 1 minute. Add the salt and spices, stir briefly, and then add the beans and stir. Turn heat to medium-low, and continue cooking the beans until soft and flavorful, about 15 minutes. Check salt levels and adjust if necessary. If the beans seem to become dry, add a splash of apple cider vinegar.
KALE: In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium heat until it is fragrant and bubbly. Add the onion and sauté for 1 minute. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Then add the kale and sauté for 4 minutes, until the kale is wilted and cooked, but still has a bit of bite. Remove the kale to a covered dish, and keep warm while you make the eggs.
EGGS: In the large skillet used the make the kale, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Crack the eggs into the pan and cook for 4 minutes. When the eggs have set up, cover the skillet and cook for another 3 minutes, or more, until the whites are set and the yolks are runny.
ASSEMBLE: place two warmed tortillas on the plate. Sprinkle each tortilla with 2 tablespoons of cheese and several spoonfulls of beans. Add some kale and gently place the eggs on top. Spoon on the salsa, add the avocado slices, and serve.