This recipe is always a hit and you can really substitute any items you want. You can easily make it Italian style by adding mushrooms and Italian seasonings. The basics are the egg with cheese topping and the bottom veggies and protein combination. The broiling step is important. We typically use 4 eggs and 4-6 egg white equivalents.
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup cheese (mozzarella and swiss makes a good combo)
- 1 teaspoon southwest spice seasonings (or whatever you have on hand)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1-2 long hot peppers, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 1 zephyr or green zucchini diced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 sausage links (spicy turkey, southwest, chicken or regular sausage)
Beat eggs, cheese, seasoning, salt/pepper until well blended. Set aside. Melt butter in ovenproof 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook meat/veggies about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Spread mix evenly in bottom of skillet. Pour egg mix evenly over meat/veggie mix. Reduce heat to medium-low. Make sure you do this or the bottom will burn. Cover and cook 9-11 minutes (make sure you cover so that it can steam and cook through without burning). Remove cover. Set oven control to broil. Broil frittata with top about 5 inches from heat about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges.