Frittata with Roasted Green Chiles, Summer Squash and Potatoes
- 3 Poblano chiles, roasted whole on the stovetop or under the broiler until charred and wrinkled on all sides
- 3 medium waxy potatoes, boiled whole in salted water for about 15 minutes or until tender
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, white and green parts, sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 1 dozen eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 pound crumbled queso fresco or feta
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
Once the chilies are cool, peel, seed and cut them into thin one-inch long strips. Set aside. Slip the skins off the potatoes and slice them thinly with a thin, sharp knife. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Heat the butter or olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, about five minutes. Add the zucchini, green onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until soft, about eight minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
After the vegetables cool, put them in a large bowl with the beaten eggs, potatoes, chiles, parsley, cheese and salt and pepper.
Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled three-quart baking dish, and bake for 25-30 minutes until the eggs are firm.