Garlic and Oil Sauteed Escarole
- 1/2 cup flavored olive oil, recipe follows
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 recipe escarole, recipe follows
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed, or one green garlic stalk, finely chopped
Heat oil in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and barely simmer until garlic is just beginning to brown. Remove and discard garlic. Pour oil into a clean container and reserve.
Remove any tough outer or damaged leaves from the escarole. Cut off the tough root end and tear leaves into large pieces. Wash well in a sink filled with cold water. Shake off excess water. In a deep saucepan with cold water to cover by about 2 inches, boil escarole for about 5 minutes over high heat. Remove from heat and drain in a colander. Immediately place escarole in cold water to cover, stopping the cooking process. When escarole is cool, drain well in a colander and pat dry.
TO MAKE GARLIC AND OIL SAUTEED ESCAROLE: Heat oil in a large, heavy sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic. Stir in the escarole and sauté for 3 minutes or until hot. Season with salt and pepper and serve.