Stir Fried Iceberg Lettuce
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. rice wine or dry sherry
- 3â„4 tsp. sugar
- 1â„2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1â„2 tbsp. peanut oil
- 4 scallions, cut on the diagonal into 1″ pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1â„2 medium head iceberg lettuce, cored, outermost leaves discarded, inner leaves torn into 4″-wide pieces
- Kosher salt, to taste
In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine or sherry, sugar, and pepper; set sauce aside.
Heat a 12″ skillet over high heat. Add peanut oil, half of the scallions, and garlic and cook until garlic is golden, about 5 seconds. Add lettuce; cook, stirring occasionally, until lettuce softens slightly, about 1 minute. Drizzle in sauce and cook until lettuce is just coated with the sauce, about 1 minute. Season with salt, divide between 4 bowls, and garnish with remaining scallions.