- 1 small head fresh lettuce or cabbage, trimmed and shredded
- Coarse salt
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 small onion, or a couple of shallots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 medium or 2 small cucumbers, peeled if necessary, cut in half, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 turnip, kohlrabi, or beet, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 small celery stalks, trimmed and chopped (or 1 bulb fennel, or both)
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Lemon juice to taste
- Salt and ground black pepper
In a colander or strainer, salt the cabbage with at least a tablespoonful and toss or simply shred and wash lettuce. In another colander, combine the carrots, onion, cucumbers and turnip, kohlrabi or beet and salt with at least a tablespoonful and toss.
As the cabbage wilts, squeeze out a little excess liquid. If using lettuce pat dry with paper towels. Toss the other vegetables from time to time. They can stay in the salt for up to an hour or as little as 15 minutes, during which time you can prepare the other vegetables. Rinse the salted vegetables lightly and spin in a salad spinner for a few seconds to remove excess liquid.
Toss with the unsalted vegetables and dress with the olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Taste, adjust seasoning and serve. The salad will keep for a couple of days.