- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 medium leeks, white and light-green parts only, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 large cloves garlic, sliced lengthwise- you can use spring garlic as well!
- 2 tsp. dried mustard
- 6 cups lower-salt chicken broth
- 8 oz. spinach, trimmed and cut into 1-inch ribbons (about 8 lightly packed cups)
- 1 15.5-oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 oz. finely grated aged Gruyère (about 1/2 cup)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for serving
- In a 6-quart pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring often, until tender and browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and mustard, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 15 seconds. Raise the heat to high, add the chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Add the spinach and beans, and cook until the spinach wilts. Stir in the lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve topped with the cheese and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.