Pan Fried Beans and Kale
- 1/2 bunch kale
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large handfuls of cooked white beans (cannellini are good)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/3 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 clove garlic or 1 garlic scape, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Finely chop the kale, wash it, and shake off as much water as you can. Set aside. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in the widest skillet you own. Add the beans in a single layer. Stir to coat the beans, then let them sit long enough to brown on one side, about 3 or 4 minutes, before turning to brown the other side, also about 3 or 4 minutes. The beans should be golden and a bit crunchy on the outside.
Add the kale and salt to the pan and cook for less than a minute, just long enough for the kale to lose a bit of its structure. Stir in the walnuts and garlic, wait 10 seconds, then stir in the nutmeg. Wait ten seconds and stir in the lemon juice and zest. Remove from heat and serve dusted with parmesan cheese.