Wild Rice, Gold Zucchini and Pecorino Salad
- 1/2 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 2 medium zucchinis, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 4 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- ground black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- juice from half a lemon
- 1/4 cup finely grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 3-4 sprigs of parsley, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cook the rice: in a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add the rinsed rice and a pinch of salt. Lower heat to a simmer, place lid on top and cook until whites start to emerge from inside the grain and rice is slightly softer (but still a bit toothsome). Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Set aside
While rice is cooking, roast the zucchini. Toss slices in 1 tbsp. of the olive oil and lots of salt and pepper. Lay the slices out onto a wire rack positioned over a parchment lined baking tray. Place in the oven until edges are browned and interiors are soft, about 20 minutes. Chop into small pieces when cool enough to handle.
Place rice and chopped zucchini in a medium bowl. Add remaining olive oil, lemon zest, juice, cheese, pecans and chopped parsley. Season to taste (I like a lot of black pepper here). Serve immediately or chill and store for later