Eggplant (Aubergine) Salad
For the Salad:
- 1 large or 2 small eggplants
- Salt and Olive Oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoons sweet red pepper and ½ teaspoon hot red pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
For the Dressing:
- 2-4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Olive oil and Black Pepper
For the Garnish:
- Coarsly chopped flat leaf parsley or fresh coriander
- Lemon Slices (or strips of preserved lemon)
- Black Ripe Olives (optional)
Remove vertical strips of skin from each eggplant with a peeler but leave some skin all around. Cut in 1 inch thick slices. Salt the slices and leave to drain in a colander for 30 minutes. Rinse under running water. Squeeze gently to remove excess water. Pat dry with paper towels.
Heat oilve oil in thick bottomed frying pan (coat the bottom) and fry the eggplant slices a few at a time over high heat until they are golden on both sides. Drain excess oil. Chop eggplant slices coarsely then mix with garlic and spices. Return to frying pan and conitue to fry until excess liquid evaporates. Transfer pulp to salad bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
Just before serving toss the cooked eggplant salad. Reseason, sprnkle with parsley or coriander and surrond with lemon halves and olives.