Warm Chickpea, Red Onion and Broccoli Salad
- ½ pound (1 heaped cup) dried chick peas, soaked for 6 hours or overnight in 1 quart water
- Salt, preferably kosher salt, to taste
- ½ pound broccoli crowns, broken into florets
- ½ small red onion, sliced optional
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, or a combination of parsley and dill
- 2 ounces shaved Parmesan
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1-tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, or sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, minced or put through a press
- Salt, preferably kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or 4 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons buttermilk or plain low-fat or nonfat yogurt
Place the chickpeas and their soaking liquid in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Add the bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer 1 hour. Add salt to taste and continue to simmer until the chick peas are tender, 30 minutes to an hour. Remove the bay leaf.
Meanwhile, place the red onions in a bowl and cover with cold water. Soak 5 minutes, then drain and rinse. Dry on paper towels.
Make the dressing. Mix together the lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil (or the oil and buttermilk or yogurt). Set aside.
When the beans are tender, add the broccoli. Turn up the heat, cover and simmer or steam (depending on how much water is left in the pan) 5 minutes, until the broccoli is tender but still bright. Drain the beans and broccoli and toss with the dressing. Add the herbs and the Parmesan, toss again, and serve warm.