For the carnitas:
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 yellow or white onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium peach, halved and pitted
- 8 peeled garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
For the peach salsa:
- 1 pound peaches, small dice (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/2 medium jalapeño (seeded if desired to reduce spiciness), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 to 16 small corn or flour tortillas
- Sliced avocado
- Lime wedges
- Hot sauce
Make the carnitas:
Place the pork in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Sprinkle with the salt and oregano, and toss to combine. Tuck the peach, onion, garlic, and bay leaves among the pork. Pour in the water and lime juice. Cover and cook until fork tender, about 8 hours on the LOW setting or 4 to 5 hours on the HIGH setting.
When the pork is ready, arrange a rack about 6 inches from the broiler and heat the broiler to high. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the pork to the baking sheet. (Discard the juices or strain out the solids and save for another use.) Use a fork to slightly shred the meat into an even layer.
Make the salsa:
Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Taste and season with salt as needed; set aside for the flavors to meld while browning the carnitas.
Broil the carnitas until a dark golden-brown crust forms on top, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip the carnitas and broil until the second side is golden-brown, about 4 minutes more. Meanwhile, warm the tortillas one at a time over a gas burner, or stack and wrap completely in aluminum foil and warm in the oven while the carnitas is browning.
Transfer the pork to a serving bowl. Serve with the warmed tortillas, peach salsa, avocados, lime wedges, and hot sauce.