Pasta with Chicken Sausage, Leeks, Corn, and Crimini Mushrooms
- 8 ounces casarecce or other short pasta
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for pasta water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 12-oz. pkg. Italian chicken sausage, sliced crosswise into ¼-in.-thick pieces
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2½ cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (from about 4 ears)
- 2 medium leeks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, plus 2 Tbsp. lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water until almost al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add sausage and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add corn, leeks, and salt and cook, stirring often, until corn is tender and leeks are soft, about 4 minutes.
Add butter, lemon zest, and reserved pasta water and cook, tossing, until liquid reduces and coats pasta, about 3 minutes. Add lemon juice and toss to coat. Serve topped with basil.