Shredded Collard Green Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Cashews
- 2 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut crosswise into 1⁄2-inch-thick slices
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 lb. collard greens, stems removed, leaves thinly shredded (6 cups)
- 2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup roasted, unsalted cashews, roughly chopped
Heat the oven to 400°. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the sweet potato slices with 2 tablespoons of the palm oil, the cumin, thyme, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and roast the sweet potatoes, flipping once halfway through cooking, until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to a rack and let cool.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the lime juice and ginger and let stand for 10 minutes to soften. Whisk in the remaining 1/4-cup palm oil until emulsified and then season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
To serve, place the collard greens in a large bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of the dressing, massaging it into the greens for about 5 minutes. Transfer the greens to a serving platter, top with the sweet potatoes, and sprinkle with the goat cheese and cashews. Serve with the remaining dressing on the side.