Gemelli Pasta with Sausage, Swiss Chard and Pine Nuts
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound Swiss chard, tough stems removed, leaves cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound gemelli, or other short pasta
- 3/4 cup raisins, plumped in boiling water and drained
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
In a large skillet, toast pine nuts over medium-high heat, shaking the pan to toast evenly, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from skillet.
In the same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and cook, breaking it up with a fork, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add chard, garlic, and pepper; cook, tossing, until chard wilts, 2 to 3 minutes. Cover to keep warm.
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions, about 12 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking water. Return pasta to pot.
Add sausage mixture to pasta with 1/2 cup reserved cooking water, raisins, toasted pine nuts, and Parmesan; toss to combine. Add more cooking water if pasta seems dry. Serve with more Parmesan.