Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Feta, Mint and Pine Nuts
- 2 medium zucchini or summer squash
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided, plus more for salting water
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (or 1 15-ounce can) chickpeas, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint (or basil), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
Trim the ends of the zucchini and cut in half crosswise. Using a mandolin or veggetti, cut the zucchini into thin matchsticks and place in a colander in the sink. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and massage lightly with your hands to evenly disperse the salt. Let sit for 20-30 minutes, or as long as it takes to prepare the rest of the salad.
Toast pine nuts lightly and set aside. Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, barley and about half of the dressing. If the barley is still very hot, let the mixture sit until just warm, stirring occasionally. Squeeze the zucchini gently to get rid of any excess moisture and add to the bowl, along with the remaining dressing and the mint. Stir and transfer to a serving bowl. Crumble the feta over the top and serve.