Pine Nut Chicken Lettuce Cups
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 1/2-pound chicken, combination of breast and thighs (boneless, skinless, diced small)
- 2 ribs celery (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 scallions (thinly sliced, greens reserved for garnish)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (plus more to garnish)
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- pineapple halves (hollowed out, to serve, optional)
- Bibb lettuce leaves (to serve)
- 1 lime (cut into wedges, to serve)
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg white and cornstarch. Toss the chicken in the egg white mixture until well coated.
Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Add the coated chicken pieces to the pan, stirring to prevent them from sticking together. Cook until the chicken has browned, about 3-5 minutes.
Add the garlic, celery and water chestnuts to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, to allow the celery to begin to soften. While stirring the mixture in the pan, add in the whites of the scallions, pine nuts, lime juice, soy sauce and brown sugar. Cook for another minute.
To serve, pour pine nut chicken, while still hot, into the hollowed out pineapple half and top with more pine nuts and the reserved sliced scallion greens. Use Bibb lettuce as a vessel to eat the chicken.