Chicken and Cabbage Stir Fry
- 1 1/3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon plus 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1/2 head cabbage (about 1 pound), sliced
- 3/4 cup drained sliced water chestnuts (from one 8-ounce can)
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red-pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro or scallion tops
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
In a medium bowl, combine the chicken with the 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of the sherry, and the cayenne. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
In a wok or large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderately high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until almost done, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the onion, garlic, and coriander. Cook, stirring, until the onions are golden, about 4 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons sherry and the vinegar. Cook, stirring, 1 minute longer.
Add the cabbage, water chestnuts, the remaining 4 teaspoons soy sauce, the tomato paste, red-pepper flakes, and water and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes longer. Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, the cilantro, and the salt and cook, stirring, until the chicken is just done, 1 to 2 minutes longer.