Sweet Corn Salad Wraps
- 4 to 6 ears fresh corn, kernels removed (2 to 3 cups)
- 1 small red onion, chopped finely
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds, or one large tomato diced
- ½ cup well chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder or regular chili powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 small limes, juiced
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus more for frying
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- 2 small corn tortillas, cut into little strips
- 1 avocado
In a medium bowl, combine the raw corn kernels, onion, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, chili powder, cayenne pepper (if using) and the juice of two limes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss in a teaspoon of olive oil. Set aside for thirty minutes, if you can swing it.
Remove 4 to 6 big cabbage/lettuce leaves (if using) from the head of cabbage/lettuce. I had trouble with this, I think it will be easier if you cut off the base first (head smack!). Place each leaf on its own small plate.
In a small skillet (preferably cast iron) on medium-high heat, pour in enough oil to form a thin film on the surface. Add the tortilla strips, sprinkle with some salt and fry until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove tortilla strips from skillet and drain on a plate covered with a piece of paper towel.
Halve and pit the avocado and slice into small strips, leaving the skin behind. Spoon about ½ cup of the salsa mixture onto each leaf, then top with crispy tortilla strips and avocado. Serve immediately.