Spring Risotto of Asparagus, Peas and Ramps
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 6 cups broth (vegetable or chicken broth)
- ¼ cup parmigiano reggiano, grated
- 1 bunch ramps, cleaned, cut into 1/4-inch pieces, leaving green tops intact
- 1 bunch green asparagus, trimmed, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh parmigiano reggiano to garnish
Heat the broth over low heat. Over medium heat in a separate pan, sauté the finely chopped onion in olive oil, until translucent. Add the garlic. Continue stirring for another minute. Add the rice, stirring until the grains become translucent. Add the white wine.
Once the wine is absorbed, add a cup of the warm broth, continually stirring. As the rice absorbs the broth, continue adding a cup of broth at a time, constantly stirring until the rice is al dente (approximately 30 minutes).
Incorporate the ¼ cup of Parmigiano reggiano, ramps, asparagus, peas, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes until the green tops of the ramps are wilted, and the asparagus and the peas are cooked, yet still crisp.
Transfer to individual bowls or one large serving dish. Garnish with shavings of fresh Parmigiano reggiano. Serve immediately.