Grilled Portobello Stacked with Fresh Spinach and Manchego Cheese
- 12 medium-sized portobello mushroom caps, wiped clean- (You can make this recipe for as many mushrooms as you like)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound baby spinach, washed and dried
- 4 ounces manchego cheese, thinly sliced into 8 pieces
- Sherry Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives, for garnish, optional
Heat grill to high. Brush mushroom caps on both sides with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, cap side down, until slightly charred, about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the mushrooms over and continue grilling until just cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes longer.
Stack the ingredients on each of 4 salad plates starting with a mushroom cap, a slice of cheese, some spinach, and a drizzle of Sherry Vinaigrette. You can serve this over mixed greens, on toasted crusty bread or add another mushroom cap, more vinaigrette, spinach, and another slice of cheese. Garnish with chopped chives, if desired.
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Whisk together the shallot, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until emulsified.