We make frittatas all the time for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They an easy way to make a healthy meal, try new ingredients and use up extra items from your fridge. You can vary the vegetables, herbs, cheeses and even add meats (think turkey or Italian sausage or try some bacon)…let your imagination run wild. This recipe is easy and has minimal ingredients and is a good one to try if this is your first frittata.
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/3 cup minced shallots, scallions, onions, leeks, green garlic or any combination
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed off, spears cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
• 6 large eggs, lightly beaten (if you substitute egg whites, use a 2 to 1 ratio)
• 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
Heat butter into a 10-inch oven-proof frying pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots/onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften and turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Add asparagus, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, covered, for 3 minutes.
Pour in eggs and cook until almost set, but still runny on top, about 2 minutes. While cooking, pre-heat oven broiler.
Sprinkle cheese over eggs (the top will still be a little runny) and put in oven to broil until cheese is melted and browned, about 4-6 minutes. Remove from oven with oven mitts and slide frittata onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges.