Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4â€³ pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth/stock
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated (*see note)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tsp sesame oil, optional but recommended
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil (I used extra light olive oil), divided
- 1 1/4 lb broccoli (about 6 cups broccoli florets)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3/4 lb (12 oz) white button mushrooms, sliced
Trim chicken breast of any excess fat and pat dry with paper towels. In a medium bowl, toss chicken breast with Â¼ cup flour until evenly coated. Remove chicken to a plate (leave remaining flour in the bowl – you’ll use it for the sauce)
To make the sauce: in the bowl with remaining flour, add 1 cup chicken stock, Â¼ cup honey, Â¼ cup soy sauce, Â½ Tbsp grated ginger, 2 cloves grated garlic and 2 tsp sesame oil (if using) and stir until smooth. Set aside.
Heat a wok or large heavy-bottomed skillet on medium high heat and add 1 Tbsp olive oil. Once oil is hot, add chicken pieces and spread out evenly. Let chicken sit for a minute before stirring, then stir fry 5 minutes or until browned. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
Add another 1 Tbsp of oil to the same pan. Once oil is hot, add small broccoli florets, onions and sliced mushrooms to the pan and stir-fry 4 minutes, or until mushrooms are softened and broccoli is crisp-tender.
Stir the sauce again then pour it your hot vegetables. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Simmer 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened then toss in chicken and cook another 30 seconds or until heated through. Season to taste with salt if needed and serve over hot rice.