Beefsteak Tomato Gratin
- 4 ripe beefsteak or other large tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Core the tomatoes. Cut each one horizontally into thick slices. Arrange a layer of tomatoes in a baking dish. Sprinkle on half the parsley, thyme and garlic, and season with salt and pepper.
Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Top with the remaining slices, seasoning them as before with the remaining parsley, thyme and garlic; salt and pepper; and 1 tablespoon of the oil.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until tomatoes are soft and a little browned. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the bread crumbs and Parmesan, then drizzle on the remaining oil. Bake 8-10 minutes longer, or until the crumbs are toasty. Remove from oven and let sit briefly to cool a bit before serving.