Orecchiette with Indian Spiced Cauliflower and Peas
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, cut into thin slices
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into small florets (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes (one 16-ounce can)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen petit peas
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 3/4 pound orecchiette
In a large frying pan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cumin, and coriander and cook until fragrant, 2 minutes longer.
Add the cauliflower to the onion mixture; stir to coat. Add the water, bring to a simmer, cover, and steam for 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and salt. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the peas and cilantro and cook until the cauliflower is tender and the peas are hot, about 2 minutes longer.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the orecchiette until just done, about 15 minutes. Drain and toss with the sauce.