Fish Tacos with Pickled Red Onions
- 3/4 pound pollack or hake or other good white fish
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ancho chile or chipotle
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pickled onions
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/8-inch slices, lengthwise
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed and dried
- 2 limes, each cut into 6 wedges
- 12 corn tortillas
- Hot sauce of your choice (we like Cholula)
Heat the oven to 350° F. Season the fish with salt, then the cumin and chile. Lay the fish in a baking dish, and sprinkle with the olive oil.
Meanwhile, set out the pickled onions. Slice the avocado and put it in a bowl (I like to squeeze a little lime juice over it so it doesn’t brown). Wash and dry the cilantro and pile it on your counter. Do the same with the lime wedges.
When the oven is hot, bake the fish until just cooked through, about 10 minutes. While the fish roasts, place a large skillet over medium high heat. Add as many tortillas as you can – probably just 2 – and toast for a minute or two on each side, just enough to warm through and leave a light toasting mark; be careful not to let them dry out. Keep the warm tortillas piled under a clean tea towel.
When the fish is ready, serve it with the warm tortillas and all the toppings.