Green Tomato Salsa
Laurent Tourondels salsa makes good use of green tomatoes, which on their own can be a bit sour. Mixed with fresh lime juice and sweet grilled onions, they make a surprisingly bright accompaniment to spiced grilled chicken or fish.
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound green, unripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 large red tomato, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Light a grill. Brush the onion slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the onion slices and the green tomatoes over high heat, turning once, until nicely charred; about 6 minutes for the onion and 8 minutes for the tomato. Chop the onion into 1-inch pieces and transfer to a bowl. Core, peel and coarsely chop the green tomatoes and add them to the bowl. Stir in the cilantro, red tomato, lime juice and the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the salsa with salt and pepper and serve.