Garden Corn and Black Bean Salad
- 4 fresh ears of corn, husked and cleaned or 2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped*
- 1 15 – ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large red sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 green onions, bias-sliced into 1/2-inch pieces (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup bottled reduced-calorie Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Lettuce leaves (optional)
For salad: If using fresh corn, cut kernels from cobs (should have 2 cups). In a large skillet, heat oil
over medium-high heat; add corn and jalapeno. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes or till
corn is lightly browned. Transfer corn mixture to a large bowl and cool slightly. Stir in black beans, sweet pepper, tomatoes, green onions and red onion.
For dressing: In a screw-top jar combine the Italian salad dressing, cilantro or parsley, lime juice, hot
pepper sauce, garlic, salt and cumin. Cover and shake well.
Immediately pour dressing over the corn mixture. Cover and refrigerate salad for at least 6 hours or overnight. To serve, toss lightly and transfer to a salad bowl. If you like, garnish with lettuce. Makes 8 servings.