Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, cubed, & roasted
- 1/2 cup uncooked short grain brown rice (yields: 1.5 cups cooked)
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, or to taste
- 2 tsp. ground cumin, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
- One 15-oz can black beans (about 1.5-2 cups cooked), drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup cheese (regular or dairy free, any type you like)
- 4 tortilla wraps
- Toppings of choice: (avocado, salsa, vegan sour cream, spinach/lettuce, cilantro)
Preheat oven to 425F and line or spray with nonstick spray a large glass dish. Drizzle olive oil on squash and give a shake of salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast chopped butternut squash for 45 min, or until tender.
Cook brown rice according to directions.
In a large skillet over medium-low heat, add oil, onion, and minced garlic. Sautee for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Now add in salt and seasonings and stir well. Add chopped red pepper, black beans, and cooked rice and sauté for another 10 min. on low.
When butternut squash is tender remove from oven and cool slightly. Add 1.5 cups of the cooked butternut squash to the skillet and stir well. You can mash the squash with a fork if some pieces are too large. Add cheese and heat another few minutes.
Add bean filling to tortilla along with desired toppings. Wrap and serve. Leftover filling can be reheated the next day for lunch in a wrap or as a salad topper.