Glazed Beet and Carrot Salad
The Foodily app is a great way to find unique recipes. This one, from the Sprouted Kitchen, is no exception. It is vegetarian, low-carb and high in fiber. You can simply roast golden beets tossed with olive oil, cumin, paprika, chile powder and sea salt in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes…or you can follow the recipe below for a flavorful, colorful salad.
• 1/2 Tbsp. Butter
• 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 2-3 Large Yellow Beets, Roasted And Peeled, Cut Into 1/2” Wedges
• 3 Carrots, Halved, Large Halves Quartered If Needed
• Sea Salt + Pepper
• 2 Tsp. Honey
• 3 Tbsp. White Wine Vinegar
• 2 Tbsp. Tahini
• 1 Tbsp. Orange Or Lemon Juice
• 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley, Divided
• 1/2 Tsp. Ground Cumin
• 12 Cups Mixed Baby Lettuces or chopped Romaine
• 1/3 Cup Cooked Garbanzo Beans, Rinsed And Drained
• 2 Tbsp. Toasted Sesame Seeds, White Or Black Or Mixed
In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the carrots and roasted beets and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring once or twice, until the carrots are crisp-tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add the honey and 2 tablespoons of the vinegar and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly glazed, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl to cool.
Whisk the remaining tablespoon of vinegar, tahini and citrus into the skillet along with the cumin and a generous pinch of the chopped parsley.
Toss the baby lettuces, remaining parsley and garbanzos with a light coating of the tahini dressing. Plate the greens and top with the carrots, beets and sprinkle the sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
**You can prepare the salad a day in advance by making the carrots and beets as directed, and keeping them covered in the fridge overnight. The dressing can also be kept covered in the fridge for up to a week. Toss everything and assemble just before serving