Garlicky Swiss Chard or Red Kale and Chick Peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 bunches Swiss chard or Kale, center stems cut out and discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped (about ½ cup)6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 15.5 ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese, optional
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add half of hte chard and cook, 1 to 2 minutes. When the first half has wilted, add the remaining chard. When all of the chard is wilted, add the chicken broth. Cover the skillet and cook the chard until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the chard through a fine sieve (strainer) and set it aside.
Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until they are softened, about 2 minutes. Add the chard and chickpeas and cook until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Drizzle the lemon juice over the mixture and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle cheese on top just before serving, if desired.