Fresh Tomato Bruschetta
- 3 to 4 medium ripe tomatoes, at room temperature (1/2 pound or 225 g)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Six 1/2-inch thick slices Italian or French bread
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
Halve tomatoes then remove and discard the majority of the seeds. Chop tomatoes into 1/4-inch chunks then add to a medium bowl with a generous pinch of salt, small pinch of black pepper, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the basil. Stir and let sit 10 minutes.