Beet and Apple Salad with Feta and Walnuts
- 4-6 raw beets, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 tart apples peeled and cut into matchsticks
- Arugula or mixed salad greens
- 8 oz. goat or feta cheese, crumbled
- Toasted walnuts
- 6 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (you can also use white balsamic, apple cider vinegar, or you favorite citrus)
- 3 tablespoons of best-quality extra virgin olive oil
A little fleur de sel (if you are using goat cheese; do not use salt if you’re using feta cheese)
Wash, peel and cut your beets and apples. Reserve in a large bowl.
In a medium bowl, make your citrus vinaigrette by adding lemon juice, olive oil, and fleur de sel. Whisk together, taste and adjust to your liking. If you want a sweeter flavor, use less citrus and more olive oil. Drizzle over beets and apples and toss with pair of tongs.
Plate individually by making a bed of salad greens, top with pile of beet mixture, and garnish with cheese and walnuts.