Asian Pear Slaw
Asian Pears are a bit more firm and crisp than regular pears which makes a big difference in this tangy, refreshing, low calorie slaw. Epicurious.com has some innovative recipes and this one is no exception. Pair it with some BBQ, Asian meats or burgers and you’ll have a winning meal! Endive and Jicama are two substitutions/additions that can be used in this savory-spicy-sweet recipe.
• 2 celery ribs (and/or Jicama, Endive)
• 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
• 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
• 2 firm Asian pears, cut into 1/4-inch-thick matchsticks
• 2 scallions or spring garlic, thinly sliced diagonally
• 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh hot Red Chile or hot sauce or to taste
Peel strings from celery with a Y-shaped vegetable peeler and cut celery into 1/4-inch-thick matchsticks.
Whisk together juice, vinegar, and ginger and stir in celery and remaining ingredients with salt and pepper to taste. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.