Blueberry or Raspberry Crumb Bars
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups (390 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 cup (8 ounces or 225 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 large egg
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 cups fresh blueberries or raspberries a combination
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. (This took an extra 10 to 15 minutes in my oven.) Cool completely before cutting into squares.