Carrot Cake Pancakes with Maple-Cream Cheese Drizzle and Toasted Pecans
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons pure cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed finely grated peeled carrots, patted dry on paper towels (about 3 medium carrots)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest, optional
- 1 tablespoon finely diced candied ginger
- 1/4 cup finely chopped toasted pecans or walnuts, optional, plus more for garnish
- Cooking spray or melted butter
MAPLE-CREAM CHEESE DRIZZLE:
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese, ½ cup grade B pure maple syrup, 4 tablespoons butter
For the pancakes: Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spices, baking soda and sea salt in a large bowl. Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the carrots and orange zest, if using, and mix until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Fold in the ginger and pecans, if using, and mix until just combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours.
Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Coat the skillet with cooking spray or brush with melted butter. Spoon 1/4 cup mounds of the batter onto the skillet, spreading with a spatula. Cook until the tops are covered with bubbles and the edges look cooked, about 2 minutes. Carefully flip the pancakes over and cook until the bottoms are lightly browned, about 1 minute. Repeat with the remaining batter. Keep the cooked pancakes warm in the oven on a baking sheet, if desired.
For the maple-cream cheese drizzle: Combine the cream cheese, maple syrup and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment until combined, about 2 minutes.
To serve: Stack the pancakes on a plate and drizzle with the maple-cream cheese drizzle. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts or pecans, if using.