Warm Spinach Salad with Fried Egg and Potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound white, gold or red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot or leek, minced
- 1-2 pounds flat-leaf spinach thick stems leaves washed well and roughly torn
- 2 ounces Parmesan, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 4 large eggs
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium. Add potatoes; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until potatoes are tender and browned, 12 to 14 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil with vinegar, mustard, and shallot; season with salt and pepper, and whisk to combine. Add spinach and Parmesan (do not toss); set aside.
When potatoes are done cooking, immediately transfer to bowl with spinach and dressing (reserve skillet). Toss salad until spinach is slightly wilted, and divide among four plates.
Heat skillet over medium, and gently crack eggs into skillet without breaking yolks; season with salt and pepper. Cook until whites are almost set, about 1 minute. Cover, turn off heat, and let stand until whites are just set but yolks are still soft, about 2 minutes more. Top each salad with a fried egg, and serve immediately.