Emeril’s Apple and Cranberry Crisp
- Unsalted butter, for baking dish
- 2 1/2 – 3 pounds sweet, firm apples, such as Gala or Braeburn, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 12 ounces cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- CRISP TOPPING- recipe below
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, combine apples, cranberries, sugar, flour, vanilla, and orange zest and juice. Transfer to baking dish and sprinkle with topping.
Bake until topping is browned and juices are thick and bubbling around edges, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Using an electric mixer, beat on low until coarse crumbs form.