Zucchini Pancakes and Zucchini Fries
A great side dish, similar to a latke, this Barefoot Contessa recipe is tasty and fun.
• 2 medium zucchini (about 3/4 pound)
• 2 tablespoons grated red onion
• 2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
• 6 to 8 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
• Unsalted butter and vegetable oil
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Grate the zucchini into a bowl using the large grating side of a box grater. Immediately stir in the onion and eggs. Stir in 6 tablespoons of the flour, the baking powder, salt, and pepper. (If the batter gets too thin from the liquid in the zucchini, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour.)Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and melt 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon oil together in the pan. When the butter is hot but not smoking, lower the heat to medium-low and drop heaping soup spoons of batter into the pan. Cook the pancakes about 2 min on each side, until browned. Place the pancakes on a sheet pan and keep warm in the oven. Wipe out the pan with a dry paper towel, add more butter and oil to the pan, and continue to fry the pancakes until all the batter is used.
• 4 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
• 1 tsp. Italian seasoning and ¾ tsp. table salt
• 1 1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup(s) dried plain breadcrumbs, panko-variety suggested
• 2 medium uncooked zucchini
• 2 large egg white(s), whipped until frothy (almost soft peaks)
Preheat oven to 425ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together Italian seasoning, flour and salt. Place bread crumbs in another small bowl. Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise and then each half into 2 pieces widthwise. Next slice each zucchini chunk into 4 fries. Dredge zucchini in flour mixture and then dip into egg whites; dredge in bread crumbs. Place coated zucchini on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining ingredients; liberally coat with cooking spray. Roast, turning once, until desired crispness, about 12 min. 8 fries per serving. For extra crispy fries, increase the oven temperature to 500ºF and cook 10 min.