Blueberry, Banana and Basil Smoothie
Smoothies are a refreshing way to blend many healthy ingredients into one, on the go, drink. This first one happens to be favored by my family and the second is fresh, palate cleansing Giada de Laurentiis favorite. Variations for the first include swapping the coconut water for Almond or Soy milk and/or adding a small bit of almond butter or ¼ avocado. Adjustments for the second include adding bananas.
- ½ pint fresh blueberries
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 cup coconut water (or almond milk, soy milk or low fat milk)
- 1 squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal (optional)
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves
Place all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth. Add ice at the end to adjust consistency. Garnish with basil leaf
Sweet Basil Smoothie
- 1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 ¼ to 1 1/2 cups Lemon Simple Syrup (1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 1 ½ tsp. lemon zest, boiled and simmered for 5 minutes)
- 1 cup ice
In a blender, combine the yogurt, basil, cooled Lemon Simple Syrup, and ice. Blend until smooth and frothy. Pour into frosted glasses and serve immediately.