White Bean Bruschetta with Grilled Radicchio Salad
This recipes from foodnetwork.com is typically a salad but can easily be transformed into an appetizer by shaving the grilled radicchio before tossing it with the oil and vinegar. You can also smash the beans a bit onto the bread or crostini with a fork and then top it with the radicchio.
• 1 cup cooked cannellini beans
• 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
• 2 tablespoons basil leaves, chiffonade
• 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1-2 large heads radicchio
• 4 1 -inch thick slices Italian peasant bread, grilled
Preheat grill/broiler. In bowl, mix together beans with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar, red pepper flakes, basil and garlic. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Halve the radicchio from top to bottom and place on an unoiled grill or under the broiler. Cook until wilted, about 3 minutes per side. Cut each half in half again to form wedges. Cut the core piece out and separate the leaves. Toss the leaves in a bowl with the remaining 4 tablespoons oil and 4 tablespoons vinegar, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Arrange the radicchio leaves on four plates like the fingers of a hand. Spoon the bean mixture onto four freshly grilled bread slices, place one slice in the middle of each salad and serve.